The Giants first
pick was Ron Dayne, RB, Wisconsin
the top links to follow the NFL Draft both before and after.
Info - Sporting News
Draft Info - ESPN
Draft Info - FOX Sports
Draft Info - CNN - Sports Illustrated
Draft Info - Springfield
Draft Info - Pro Football Weekly
Draft Info - CBS - Sportsline
Draft Info - Rivals - NFL Draft Digest
selected RB Ron Dayne
of Wisconsin for their first pick.
Dayne, the Heisman Trophy winner last year, is the tough power back the
Giants wanted, and he should be an impact player in his first year.
Next they were lucky enough to find DL Cornelius
Griffin from Alabama still available.
Griffin is a power pass rusher who can beat his man with an explosive
The third pick was WR Ronald
Dixon from Lambuth, who is known mostly for his speed. He was a surprising
third round pick, but the Giants want his speed for returning punts, and
pick was LB Brandon
Short from Penn State. He's a physical player who's very productive
and has a nose for the ball.
selected CB Ralph
Brown for their fifth pick. He's from Nebraska, and is known to be
a very aggressive tackler who constantly fights off blocks.
round pick was used on Michigan LB Dhani
Jones. He's a great athlete with good football instincts.
seventh and last pick was Jeremiah
Parker, a DE from California. He has good quickness
and excels in rushing the passer.
round Draft Picks around the league - What did they get?
signings as of 7/27/00
1. Cleveland, Courtney Brown, de, Penn State, six
years, $45 million
2. Washington, LaVar Arrington, lb, Penn State, six years, terms undisclosed
3. Washington, Chris Samuels, ot, Alabama, six years, $47 million
4. Cincinnati, Peter Warrick, wr, Florida State, seven years, $42 million
5. Baltimore, Jamal Lewis, rb, Tennessee, terms undisclosed
6. Philadelphia, Corey Simon, dt, Florida State
7. Arizona, Thomas Jones, rb, Virginia, four years, $13.1 million
8. Pittsburgh, Plaxico Burress, wr, Michigan State, five years, $14.398
9. Chicago, Brian Urlacher, lb, New Mexico, five years, $13.25 million
10. Baltimore, Travis Taylor, wr, Florida
11. Giants, Ron Dayne, rb, Wisconsin, five years, $7.14 million
12. Jets, Shaun Ellis, de, Tennessee, five years, $8.175 million
13. Jets, John Abraham, lb, South Carolina, five years, $7.055 million
14. Green Bay, Bubba Franks, te, Miami, 5 years, $6.45 million
15. Denver, Deltha O'Neal, db, California, 7 years, $9.1 million
16. San Francisco, Julian Peterson, lb, Michigan State
17. Oakland, Sebastian Janikowski, pk, Florida State, five years, $6 million
18. Jets, Chad Pennington, qb, Marshall, five years, $6.5 million
19. Seattle, Shaun Alexander, rb, Alabama, five years, $10.4 million
20. Detroit, Stockar McDougle, ot, Oklahoma, 5 years, terms undisclosed
21. Kansas City, Sylvester Morris, wr, Jackson State
22. Seattle, Chris McIntosh, ot, Wisconsin
23. Carolina, Rashard Anderson, db, Jackson State, terms undisclosed
24. San Francisco, Ahmad Plummer, db, Ohio State
25. Minnesota, Chris Hovan, dt, Boston College
26. Buffalo, Erik Flowers, de, Arizona State, terms undisclosed
27. Jets, Anthony Becht, te, West Virginia, five years, terms undisclosed
28. Indianapolis, Rob Morris, lb, Brigham Young
29. Jacksonville, R. Jay Soward, wr, Southern California, five years,
30. Tennessee, Keith Bulluck, lb, Syracuse, terms undisclosed
31. St. Louis, Trung Canidate, rb, Arizona, 5 years, terms
New York Giants Draft Picks - How did they do?
Here's who the Giants picked. You can click on the reviews
to see how the sports publications rated the Giants and the rest of the
Giant Insider - Background stories
on the seven Giants draft picks.
E-Giants - Spotlight on Ronald Dixon
NY Post - A Sensible Gameplan
NY Post - Prof Serby's Picks & Pans
NY Daily News - Giant Picks Not Short On
Star Ledger - Pleased with their picks,
Giants turn to fill other needs
Raley - Ron Dayne, more than quite some player
University of Wisconsin
Dayne 1999 Heisman Trophy Winner
Ron Dayne was the Giants
number one draft pick. Here's how he and the other first-round
running backs fared on opening day for the NFL in Week 1:
78 yards, 1 TD
all these players had the opportunity to start for their
teams or are in backup roles, as evidenced by the amount
East Draft Picks
1, LaVar Arrington,
lb, Penn State (2); 1, Chris Samuels, ot, Alabama (3); 3, Lloyd Harrison,
db, North Carolina State (64); 4, Michael Moore, g, Troy State (129);
5, Quincy Sanders, db, UNLV (155); 6, Todd Husak, qb, Stanford (202);
7, Delbert Cowsette, dt, Maryland (216); 7, Ethan Howell, wr, Oklahoma
2, Dwayne Goodrich,
db, Tennessee (49); 4, Kareem Larrimore, db, West Texas A&M (109); 5,
Michael Wiley, wr, Ohio State (144); 6, Mario Edwards, db, Florida State
(180); 7, Orantes Grant, lb, Georgia (219).
1, Thomas Jones,
rb, Virginia (7); 2, Raynoch Thompson, lb, Tennessee (41); 3, Darwin Walker,
dt, Tennessee (71); 4, David Barrett, db, Arkansas (102); 5, Mao Tosi,
dt, Idaho (136); 5, Jay Tant, te, Northwestern (164); 6, Jabari Issa,
dt, Washington (176); 7, Sekou Sanyika, lb, California (215).
1, Corey Simon,
dt, Florida State (6); 2, Todd Pinkston, wr, Southern Mississippi (36);
2, Bobby Williams, g, Arkansas (61); 4, Gari Scott, wr, Michigan State
(99); 6, Thomas Hamner, rb, Minnesota (171); 6, John Frank, de, Utah (178);
6, John Romero, c, California (192).
Pre Draft stories.
Draft Story - Giant Insider - An early look.
Draft Story - Giant Insider - Giants want Dayne.
Draft Story - The Record- Giants
Draft Story - Newsday - For Giants, It's 'Back' to Basics.
Draft Story - NY Post- Alexander looks great to Big Blue.
E-Giants - Giants first round draft pick.
New York Giants Draft Picks - How did they do?
Here's who the Giants picked last year in the draft. You
can click on some of the stories that are still online to see how the
reporters rated their picks at the time.
Just remember it's easy to second guess.
Review of Giants 1999 Draft Class
A year has gone by now, and as of opening day 2000, (Sept
3, 2000), of the nine players chosen in 1999, only one
-- tackle Luke Petitgout -- is a starter.
|New York Giants #1 Draft Picks - 1936 to 2001
1936 -- Art Lewis, T, Ohio University
1937 -- Ed Widseth, T, Minnesota
1938 -- George Karamatic, HB, Gonzaga
1939 -- Walt Nielson, FB, Arizona
1940 -- Grenny Lansdell, HB, Southern California
1941 -- George Franck, HB, Minnesota
1942 -- Merle Hapes, HB, Mississippi
1943 -- Steve Filipowicz, FB, Fordham
1944 -- Billy Hillenbrand, HB, Indiana
1945 -- Wesley Barbour, HB, Wake Forest
1946 -- George Connor, T, Notre Dame
1947 -- Vic Schwall, HB, Northwestern
1948 -- Tony Minisi, HB, Pennsylvania
1949 -- Paul Page, HB, SMU
1950 -- Travis Tidwell, QB, Auburn
1951 -- Kyle Rote, HB, SMU
1952 -- Frank Gifford, HB, Southern California
1953 -- Bobby Marlow, HB, Alabama
1954 -- No First Round Pick
1955 -- Joe Heap, HB, Notre Dame
1956 -- Henry Moore, FB, Arkansas
1957 -- No First Round Pick
1958 -- Phil King, FB, Vanderbilt
1959 -- Lee Grosscup, QB, Utah
1960 -- Lou Cordileone, G, Clemson
1961 -- No First Round Pick
1962 -- Jerry Hillebrand, LB, Colorado
1963 -- No First Round Pick
1964 -- Joe Don Looney, RB, Oklahoma
1965 -- Tucker Frederickson, RB, Auburn
1966 -- Francis Peay, T, Missouri
1967 -- No First Round Pick
1968 -- No First Round Pick
1969 -- Fred Dryer, DE, San Diego State
1970 -- Jim Files, LB, Oklahoma
1971 -- Rocky Thompson, RB, Texas St.
1972 -- Eldridge Small, DB, Texas A&I
1972 -- Larry Jacobson, DT, Nebraska
1973 -- No First Round Pick
1974 -- John Hicks, G, Ohio State
1975 -- No First Round Pick
1976 -- Troy Archer, DT, Colorado
1977 -- Gary Jeter, DT, Southern Cal
1978 -- Gordon King, T, Stanford
1979 -- Phil Simms, QB, Morehead State
1980 -- Mark Haynes, DB, Colorado
1981 -- Lawrence Taylor, LB, North Carolina
1982 -- Butch Woolfolk, RB, Michigan
1983 -- Terry Kinard, DB, Clemson
1984 -- Carl Banks, LB, Michigan State
1984 -- William Roberts, G, Ohio State
1985 -- George Adams, RB, Kentucky
1986 -- Eric Dorsey, DE, Notre Dame
1987 -- Mark Ingram, WR, Michigan State
1988 -- Eric Moore, T, Indiana
1989 -- Brian Williams, C, Minnesota
1990 -- Rodney Hampton, RB, Georgia
1991 -- Jarrod Bunch, RB, Michigan
1992 -- Derek Brown, TE, Notre Dame
1993 -- Exercised pick in '92 Suppl. Draft for Dave Brown, QB, Duke
1994 -- Thomas Lewis, WR, Indiana
1995 -- Tyrone Wheatley, RB, Michigan
1996 -- Cedric Jones, DE, Oklahoma
1997 -- Ike Hilliard, WR, Florida
1998 -- Shawn Williams S, UCLA
1999 -- Luke Petitgout, G, Notre Dame
2000 -- Ron Dayne, RB, Wisconsin
2001 -- Jeremy Shockey, TE, Miami (Fla.)
on the Team Giants logo to be informed of all Giants game previews
reviews and off season happenings.